Automate Calculation Based Transactions
Serenic Navigator empowers your staff by automating tedious calculated transactions, such as those allocated based on percentages and the allocation of pooled revenue and expense accounts. Because the allocations are part of our fully integrated solution, the calculations can be performed at the time of transaction entry, and/or at any time and for any time period, based on your schedule. The automation and resulting timeliness of these allocation related transactions greatly improves the value of the financial data you and your staff have available, real time, any time.
Advanced Allocations Global Features
- Full integration with the complete financial system with audit trail
- Configurable business rules
- Wizard-driven interface
- Preview allocated amounts before posting
- Performance, calculations complete in minutes, not hours
- Global definition, define it once, providing the ability to distribute amounts to multiple accounts, funds, and user-defined dimensions such as departments, cost centers, programs, projects, locations, anywhere in the system where a GL account is entered.
- Distribution is based on user-defined percentage tables, fixed amount(s) or a combination of the two.
- Flexible allocation table definition, include any/all dimensions of the chart of accounts to which you are posting. If the fund, account or any dimension is left blank in the definition, the value will be pulled from the transaction entry. This feature allows a single allocation definition to be used to allocate all types of expenses.
- Resulting distributed entry will be evaluated for budget control and approval rules before posting.
Offering all the functionality of the Line Allocation toolset, but with the ability to run them as a process occurring outside other forms of transaction entry, such as accounts payable or journal entries. The ability to run batch allocations “after the fact” instead of at the time of transaction entry is by design. Batch Allocations also allow you to:
- Define derived percentage tables for any group of accounts. For example, by percentage of salaries/wages in the group defined for that allocation.
- Base resulting transactions on any information maintained in the general ledger, including transaction-based number of hours, units of services, outcome-based statistics, or any other non-financial information.
- Pull stored percentages or rates by account to use in the calculation, i.e. approved fringe rate.
- Flexible allocation definition, step-by-step calculation operations can be defined, selecting the appropriate commands, period type, and operation type from drop down lists. This configurable command driven definition setup offers power users the ability to set up their own calculations without the assistance of a programmer. If you can describe the steps in the calculation arithmetically, you can create the definition in Serenic Navigator and have the system perform the calculation automatically and with complete auditability.
Indirect Cost Recovery Calculations and Revenue Recognition Calculations
Serenic AwardVision, our grants management solution that operates with Serenic Navigator, offers these two powerful toolsets.
Q: How are expenses allocated based on board approved percentages?
A: Set percentages or rates can be stored within the allocation, which can be used at the time of data entry (line allocation), or batch allocations can be used if a derived percentage is required. Each allocation has an effective date, allowing for greater flexibility and auditing. When a new rate or methodology is approved, the old allocation is not overwritten. Instead, a new allocation with new effective dates is defined.
Q: How does Serenic Navigator help me better manage my indirect cost plan?
A: With SerenicNavigator, you can track actual expenses incurred while, at the same time, automatically calculating and posting the negotiated/approved indirect costs for budgeting and reporting purposes, along with the appropriate offsetting entry. This will help you capture the necessary data to ensure that your negotiated/approved rates are validated and, if appropriate, negotiate a better rate in future periods.
With Batch Allocations, historical allocations can be defined, allowing previous amounts to be redistributed based on new business rules or rates. For example, calculate indirect costs based on your proposed rate until such time as you receive your approved NICRA. Recalculate the previous transactions based on this new rate, and use the new rate moving forward.
Q: How can Serenic Navigator help manage my endowments and/or investment pools?
A: Through Batch Allocations, Serenic Navigator can automate the calculation and posting of the following:
- management and other fees based on predefined rates, and or amounts that vary by endowment/investment type
- allocation of realized and unrealized gains and losses across the pool based on a variety of rules, i.e. average daily balance of the fund(s), balance at end of period, number of units
- allocation and/or re-evaluation of unit/share value based on market value
Q: We have many accounts that are allocated using the same approved methodology, but some accounts use a different methodology. How does Serenic Navigator help me manage the maintenance and execution of all of these different allocations?
A: If a Batch Allocation is required, there is a “repeat on” function, that tells the system to repeat the execution of the calculation for whatever fund, account, and/or user defined dimension selected. This eliminates the need to define multiple definitions where, for example, only the account or the cost center is changing. Batch Allocations can be grouped together, enabling the user to select the execution of the group, i.e. month-end, rather than calling each one individually.
When using a line allocation, the definition can pull the fund, account or any user-defined dimension from the transaction entry. For example, I have a transaction for which office supplies should be allocated based on the approved Admin Allocation, and a second line to be charged to training supplies, again allocated to the various cost centers using the Admin Allocation.
Q: How can Serenic Navigator increase my organization’s productivity and efficiency?
A: By eliminating the use of offline spreadsheets and automating the calculation and posting of these transactions in the financial system, Serenic Navigator gives back the hours spent maintaining and manually processing these spreadsheet-based transactions. With the ability to run these allocations more frequently, at the time of transaction entry and/or daily, your financial data will always be up to date, providing a more accurate financial picture than the month-end “snap-shot” in time you are probably getting today.
Because the allocations are being performed within the system, greater accuracy, auditability and transparency is achieved. With the Serenic Navigator toolset, you will be able to define allocation methodologies that are based on more meaningful information, providing information to help your organization make better decisions and the basis for more reliable financial reports.